10 things to try these Holidays
So you’ve finish gymnastics for the year and now how are you meant to fill all your time, especially at home? There’s nothing worse than sitting at home bored and you can’t come up with any fun activities to fill your day with.
Don’t worry, we’ve got you! Here are 10 fun activities to keep you entertained without even leaving the comfort of home sweet home.
- Make a delicious recipe – learning to cook is such a fun way to discover new and exciting foods. Here are 8 Easy and Healthy Recipes from Foodbank Australia for you to check out, with super easy videos to help you along the way.
- Enjoy A Movie Marathon – A rainy day or even a scorcher outside could be the perfect time to organise a movie marathon. Perhaps choose a movie series such as Stick It and invite your gym friends over for a fun afternoon.
- DIY A Cubby House – Turn your dining room table or a couch into a cubby, using sheets, rugs and tablecloths. A fun way to make your own little sanctuary where you can do whatever you want with your friends.
- A Craft Day – This will test your imagination. Spend an afternoon making the most amazing Christmas card you have ever seen or even a reindeer out of pegs. There are so much fun things to do or to make, just ask an adult to search for a Christmas DIY online and then it’s all up to you – create away!!
- Grow a Herb Garden - Herbs are fun to grow and your kids will love having their own garden to tend. They're easy to grow from seed, requiring little patience as some herbs, like cress and rocket, should start to sprout in as little as two days!
How it works: find a sunny spot in the garden – most herbs need lots of sunshine. Fill your pots almost-full of potting mix. Add a sprinkle of compost or blood and bone and mix in well. To sow seeds, follow packet instructions.
To plant seedlings, make a well in the pot that is as deep as your seedling. Gently remove the seedling from its container (you may need to tap on the bottom of the container to loosen the roots). Give the roots a little room by carefully loosening the soil around them.
Plant into your pot, making sure the new soil stays level with the soil the seedling is planted in. Press down firmly around the plant to compact the soil a little.Once your herbs are in, give them a good watering to help them settle into their new soil.
When planting herbs together in the same pot, remember to keep ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ herbs separate. This will make it easier to keep the conditions right for each herb group. Wet herbs like moist to wet soil conditions and dry herbs like well-drained soil. You’ll need to water wet herbs more regularly than dry herbs.
- Produce a home movie or a theatre show – grab a few friends or siblings to re-enact a movie or even better, make up your own story using your favourite gymnasts as the main roles!
- DIY Science Experiments - Science experiments are fun learning games that will delight any child. Watching how the world works is much more fun when it's something you've created yourself.
If you think science experiments are all about Bunsen Burners and beakers, think again. Click here for 20 Fun Science Experiments for Kids, using things from your pantry and recycling bin. Plus, no goggles are required!
- Have A Lego Battle – have a challenge with a sibling, who can make the best AND most functional house, using only Lego.
- DIY A Slip n’ Slide – A very easy and fun project for the kids. Get a roll of thick plastic, lay it across the grass, hose it down, pour on some baby oil or dishwashing liquid to make it more slippery, then let the kids go crazy.
- Cupcake / Cookie Decorating Competition – A cupcake or cookie decorating competition is a perfect way to keep you amused for a few hours plus you could get an adult to be the judge.
Grab a friend or a sibling and give each activity a go. Maybe see how many you can tick off this holiday break before school starts again. And don’t worry, gymnastics classes will be back soon!